msg.sender not working on web wallet calls

• Hello,

For some reason, whenever I use "msg.sender" in a smart contract, it doesn't capture the sender address properly if I'm calling it from the web wallet.

msg.sender is returning 0xffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Does anyone know about that?

Thanks!

• Hello @paulofelipe84,

I think this is more of a problem understanding the EVM and Solidity than a wallet problem.

Contract calls from the web wallet are reading the local state database, there is not a msg.caller because there is no transaction.

If you send to contract (send a transaction that can change the contract’s variables) there will be a sender.

Take a look at this contract:

pragma solidity >= 0.5.1 < 0.6.0; 

contract GetLastSender{

address lastSender;  // the last address to call this contract (could be another contract or a contract call)

// get the last caller - not a transaction, no gas required 
        function getTheLastCaller() public view returns (address) {
            return lastSender;
        }

// set the last sender - transaction, requires gas
        function setTheLastSender() public {
            lastSender = msg.sender;  // save each time contract receives a transaction    
        }    
    }

Compile and publish this contract.

Then use this sequence:

1. Call the contract with method getTheLastSender. It will return 00000000… (initialized to zero, I think).

2. Send to the contract with method setTheLastSender. This will set the variable lastSender.

3. Call the contract again with method getTheLastSender. It will return the a 40 character hex address (padded with zeros) of the sender from step 2. Use a Core wallet command like “fromhexaddress” to convert from the a raw hex address to a base 58 pubkeyhash address (“Q” address).

For more information about using the web wallet with smart contracts see https://github.com/qtumproject/documents/tree/master/en/QTUM-WebWallet-usage#create-contract

Looks like your connection to QTUM was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.